In accordance with requirements of the Affordable Care Act and various reporting requirements of other jurisdictions, UC employees and retirees will receive 1095-B and/or 1095-C forms verifying their health coverage for 2020. The forms are for employees’ and retirees’ information and records only; the forms are not filed with tax returns.
General Reminders regarding 1095-Cs and 1095-Bs:
- Employees defined as full-time under the ACA (those who work 75% time or more) will receive the 1095-C from UC. Parts I and II of the 1095-C will be populated for all employees; only those enrolled in UC’s self-insured plans (Core, Health Savings Plan, UC Care, the Resident program administered by UC Health) will have Part III populated.
- Employees defined as not full-time under the ACA who are plan members of UC’s self-insured plans (Core, Health Savings Plan, UC Care, the Resident program administered by UC Health) will receive Form 1095-B
All plan members of UC’s fully insured plans (Health Net and Kaiser Permanente) will receive Form 1095-B directly from the plan.
Below is the current status (as of 1/29/21) for Form 1095s issued by UC:
- All forms will be sent via paper copy – no electronic copies will be available for the 2020 tax year. Employees should expect to receive their 1095s over the next few weeks (USPS delays notwithstanding).
For non-Medicare Retirees and COBRA members in UC Care, Core, or HSP:
- 1095-B forms for non-Medicare retirees and COBRA members in self-insured plans (UC Care, HSP, or Core) should receive mailed copies over the next few weeks (USPS delays notwithstanding).
For Medicare Retirees:
- The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is the responsible entity for issuing 1095 forms for all individuals on Medicare, including UC retirees enrolled in UC-sponsored Medicare plans or in Medicare plans through Via Benefits.
- Medicare retirees who have Medicare Part A coverage for part of the year will have a 1095-B form mailed directly to them from CMS. At this time, it is unknown when the mailings are expected to be released.
- Medicare retirees who have Medicare Part A coverage for the entire year will not receive 1095-B forms from CMS.
Other Jurisdiction Reporting
- In addition to filing with the IRS, UC is required to submit a separate filing to California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, District of Columbia, and Rhode Island, verifying their residents’ health insurance status. Residents of Massachusetts will receive a Form 1099-HC. Residents of the other jurisdictions do not receive any additional forms.
Questions, Corrections, and Reprints:
- Employees and non-Medicare Retirees with general questions about the 1095 Forms should be referred to the IRS website at https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-health-care-information-forms-for-individuals
- Medicare retirees may be referred to https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Eligibility-and-Enrollment/Medicare-and-the-Marketplace/Overview1.html
- If benefits professionals receive requests for corrections:
- For forms issued by the fully insured plans, employees/retirees should call the plan; benefits professionals may need to work with the plan to confirm the correction.
- For forms issued by UC on behalf of PPS locations, the benefits professional will need to confirm the correction and should then coordinate on behalf of the employee with the location’s ACAWeb or other designated local contact.
- For forms issued by UC on behalf of UCPath, UCPath representatives will need to confirm the correction and generate a new 1095.
- For forms issued by UC on behalf of non-Medicare retirees in Core, Health Savings Plan, and UC Care, RASC reps will need to confirm the correction and should then contact Angelin Barrios with correction (firstname.lastname@example.org) – retirees should not be referred directly to this email.
- Requesting duplicate copies:
- Log on to the UCPath portal, scroll down to the Forms Library, and click on “Records” to complete a Benefits record request.
- Retirees: Duplicate copies of 1095s and 1099-HC will be available on UCRAYS in mid-February. If a retiree needs a copy prior to availability on UCRAYS, retirees can contact RASC to request a duplicate copy. RASC reps can forward those requests to Angelin Barrios (email@example.com), who will then coordinate with UnifyHR to mail out duplicate copies.